Hi! I'm a freelance software developer based in Bristol, UK.
Between pandemics I enjoy travelling, photography and creating the occasional website - some of which are illustrated below.
All sites work best on a large screen (2560 x 1440 or above recommended) with a pointing device and fast connection.
This website figures out the best ever films by Genre, Actor, Director, Year, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Freeview or UK Town and the best Actors and Directors for every decade since 1915, and of all time.
Features 1200 artists and 22000 albums chosen by a wide range of critics as amongst the best ever - and explains why. Click on an album or playlist to listen via Spotify (requires a Spotify account).
The story of Your Life so far - key events from history, technology, sport, film and music juxtaposed on Your Timeline, and how long you have left to live (according to the Office of National Statistics). Click an Album or Film image to see details on gotty.uk/music or gotty.uk/films.
Some of my travel photos eg. Nepal, Alps, South America, Bristol etc.
- Explore over 100 Best Album lists, over 5000 Artists, over 10000 Albums.
- Search by Artist and see at a glance their best albums chronologically (and their very very best - those in many lists).
- Stream via Spotify, iTunes, Apple or Amazon (account required).
- Choose Album Cover Size. Sort by Rank, Artist, Album, Genre or Date.
- Click Album Title for Reviews (via albumoftheyear.org).
- Listen to track previews for over 5000 Albums (no account required).
- Calculates the best 1000 albums of all time (based on how many lists an album appears in and it's average list position).
- Calculates the best decades for great albums.
Rolling Stone Magazine : 500 Greatest Albums of All Time : 1-100
Album of the Year : Best 200 Albums of 2019
The Guardian : 100 Best Albums of the 21st Century : 1-100
gotty.uk bestalbums : 1000 Best Albums of All Time : 1-100
Best Albums by Decade - was music better in the old days?
- The 1000 Best Music Artists / Bands of all time - as calculated by this website (see below for how).
- Click an Artist image for their Spotify "This is ..." playlist.
- Search by Artist / Band
- Test your music knowledge - turn Captions off and try to identify the Artists (hover over an image for the answer).
You can view the data in Table format - which shows #Albums and Avg. Pos. (which are used to rank the Artists).
#Albums : number of times an album by this Artist appears in a list on www.gotty.uk/bestalbums
Avg. Pos. : Average list position for the above albums (1 is best).
Beautiful Interactive Graphs Website
This was amazing. Far better than sliced bread. But Java support has been dropped by all browsers now so all you can do is
gaze forlornly at the static images below.
This was a project to try the Java language and to animate some of the beautiful graphs in a fabulous book by Jean-Paul Delahaye, Professeur, Université des Sciences et Technologies de Lille : "Geometric and Artistic Graphics - Design Generation with Microcomputers", MacMillan 1986. For this I converted the original Basic programs to Java and added colour, detail, rotation, animation and an interactive website.
Features 9 simultaneous synchronised slide shows. Recommended screen width : > 750px.
The 9 slideshows run on 9 tiles whose spacing can be altered. Sometimes the 9 images are independent and sometimes they are portions of one large image.
View Images and Biographies of all Nobel Prize Winners by Category, Year, Country or Gender. Piecharts show prizes by country and category (the UK is second only to the US).
Features fancy image transitions from WOW Slider. Start slide, image transition type and duration are randomised (so each show is unique). Recommended screen width : any.
This project involved mounting a full frame digital SLR on my bathroom window sill, 2 storeys up, with a view along Bristol Harbour to the M-shed Museum and Prince Street Bridge. The camera could be triggered remotely via email, manually from a local computer or automatically driven by a timetable linked to sunrise times.
Sample images :
Copyright and image use
All images on this website are copyright Dave Gott. They may be downloaded for personal non-profit use or for promoting Bristol - if so please credit the source : "www.gotty.uk/images".